Q. If I have a famous quotation, what is the best way to find out who it is attributed to?
The Manhahattanville College Library now provides access to a database called Credo Reference, which is a database of Reference Books only, such as dictionaries, subject-specific encyclopedias and a few handbooks. To locate famous quotations take the following steps:
- From the Library Home Page, click on the databases link.
- From the alphabetical listing, select Credo Reference.
- From the lower right-hand corner, select the category for Quotations, and a number of diffferent sources will appear. This may take a minute or two during particularly busy times of the day.
- Frequently, the Collins Concise Dictionary of Quotations can be very helpful, as it lists quotations by topic, as does the Bloomsbury Thematic Dictionary of Quotations. This can also be very useful when you are just looking for a quotation by a famous person, about a specific topic, but don't actually have any specific quotation in mind.
- Several of the other resources are a little more targeted in their approach, so pick the one that seems to best serve your particular need.
I hope that you will find this information helpful, so give it a try, and let us know how you like Credo Reference.